Pages

Friday 5 November 2010

Bready, steady, go.

In my opinion, baking doesnt get more classic than your good old fashioned loaf. Freshly baked bread is just one of those things that is faultless in taste, touch and smell, especially when its cooked well. Today was the first of many lessons in bread I will be taking over the coming year. In class chef showed us focaccia, brown bread, small white buns and soda bread. We also covered quite alot of bread theory - the joys of pastry school. I've been quite looking forward to learning some of the tricks of the trade with bread so as dull as it sounds, the ins and outs of yeast were like top gossip to me. The bread was, as expected, delicious and the perfect start up to the day.


Todays practical was just a really fun class. Kneading bread is a good stress reliever - I even served mine a few hefty karate chops. We made the soda bread and the adorable bread rolls. This was a good balance because the soda bread is a rustic, dense bread and the rolls and much more refined. We spent a fair while shaping and decorating the white dough into spirals and knots, left them to prove and got them in the oven. I practically had my nose up against the oven for the next 10 minutes waiting for them to cook with a knob of butter in hand ready to get a freshly cooked roll out of the oven and into my mouth in record time. Happy days at LCB.

Soda bread


Cuties


Packed up and ready to go home






1 comment: